Motorsport UK


It’s pretty well-known that, barring a few exceptions, most of today’s top professional racing drivers all started their careers in karting. But what isn’t so well-known is that karting is a sport for all and there’s nothing to stop you competing week in, week out.

How does Karting work?

Think of Karting as scaled down circuit racing, for as well as the vehicles being smaller the circuits are too; most karting is ‘short circuit’, although more powerful Superkarts (or Long Circuit Karts) do run on full-size race tracks.

The principle is the same as for circuit racing; karts go wheel-to-wheel and the winner is the first to reach the chequered flag, which falls after the designated number of laps is completed.

Karting is split into four main categories: Cadet, Junior, Senior and Gearbox. To find out which is the one for you, get in touch with your local club.

Most Kart events comprise practice sessions, qualifying, heats and one or two ‘finals’.

How do I start?

The Association of Brtiish Kart Clubs (ABkC) have published information to help you get started in karting, find it by clicking here.

There is a British Schools Karting Championship which is a nationwide arrive-and-drive karting championship for anyone aged 13 to 18 in full-time education at either school or college.

If you want to compete in karting, go to some meetings and chat with the competitors. Most of them will be happy to talk but choose your moment; the waiting (holding) area pre qualifying or pre race is not the best timing to ask questions.

Next you need to get your Motorsport UK Go Karting starter pack, then pass an ARKS test. You can then apply for your Kart National B Novice Competition Licence. If you are under 18 years old one of your parents must also apply for an Entrant Kart PG Licence.

What kind of kart do I need?

Karts are small, purpose-built racing vehicles with rigid frames and no suspension. There are different Karts for different classes, so you need to choose your class first. Most karts are broadly similar, with the main differences being the size, engine, tyres and whether or not it has a gearbox.

If you want to compete on long circuits you will need a Superkart, which has a gearbox, clutch and aerodynamic bodywork, and is significantly faster than a normal kart.

What equipment do I need?

You’ll need Motorsport UK compliant safety items such as helmet, race suit, gloves and boots. You would also be wise to buy a rib protector, which isn’t mandatory but will save you from some post-race aches and pains.

Remember that it is the competitor's responsibility to ensure that their vehicle and equipment comply with both the Motorsport UK's General Regulations (detailed in the Motorsport UK Competitors' and Officials' Yearbook) and the Supplementary Regulations (SRs) of the event or championship.

If you have any questions about vehicles or equipment you can speak to a member of the Motorsport UK Technical Department by calling 01753 765 000.